Summer is officially here, and we know that this time of year usually comes with a lot of excitement, especially with the thought of taking time off work to travel or simply relaxing at home with family and friends. Many people are also looking to get into great shape and feel good about themselves, especially when they plan to spend a lot of time outdoors. However, with vacations and more relaxed routines, the temptation to indulge in unhealthy snacks and meals is always present.
Food cravings can be hard to combat, as they can hit us when we least expect it. The good news is that there are some ways to better control and beat them so that you can enjoy beautiful weather while feeling and looking your best.
But before we dive in, let's take a moment to understand why we have cravings in the first place.
Sometimes our bodies are telling us that they need specific nutrients or minerals. Other times, our cravings can be emotional, such as stress or anxiety.
Maybe, our taste buds have simply become accustomed to salt, sugar, or fat, making healthier foods seem bland or less satisfying.
With that in mind, here are
Five tips to help you beat food cravings this summer season:
1. Hydrate - Drink plenty of liquids, especially water, which can help you feel fuller and keep your digestion on track. Being dehydrated can also often be masked as hunger, so drinking enough fluids can help you avoid unnecessary snacking or overeating.
2. Stress - Stress triggers cravings, but it is possible to manage it without reaching for unhealthy snacks. Take a few minutes in the morning to practice mindfulness or deep breathing exercises. Taking a walk in nature or having a warm bath before bed can also help to relax your mind and body.
3. Keep yourself busy - One of the key reasons we may give in to food cravings is out of boredom. Find a new hobby or activity that interests you. You could also try out a new fitness class or join a local yoga group. This will keep your mind focused and your body active, reducing the desire to reach for snacks.
4. Replace cravings - Instead of indulging in unhealthy snacks and treats, opt for natural, whole food choices. For instance, if you’re craving something sweet, try snacking on fresh berries, dates, or some organic dark chocolate, which contains antioxidants, fibre, and other essential nutrients. Eating a smaller portion of the food you’re craving can also help reduce its impact.
5. Eat enough protein and reduce intake of certain carbs - Protein has a powerful impact on satiety, so ensuring you have enough of it can help to prevent food cravings. Reduce your intake of refined carbohydrates such as white bread, pasta, and sweets. Opt instead for sweet potato, lean meat, eggs, fruit and vegetables, which give sustained energy and keep you feeling fuller for longer.
Summer is an exciting time, and being proactive about our health is key to enjoying it to the fullest. By implementing these tips, we can feel good, stay active, and combat food cravings, allowing us to have fun and relish in all our summer activities, without the guilt.
If you find yourself struggling to start implementing good habits and maintain them, don't hesitate to join our Reverse Inflammation in 11 Days Program. This program provides you with the necessary tools, resources, and guidance to jumpstart your wellness journey and create lasting positive lifestyle changes. We have a great community and experienced coaches, you can reach your goals and lead a happier, healthier life. Check out this post to find out more or send me a message.